How Long Does A Peanut Allergy Take To Show Up

Peanut allergy is an allergic reaction that occurs due to the body mistakes the food made from beans as one of the dangerous allergens. In this condition, the immune system will react against the allergen and sometimes can give the effect of which was fatal, for example, anaphylactic shock. Anaphylactic shock is a condition in which the blood pressure will decrease drastically and the airway will be narrowed, so that breathing is hampered. However, not all patients experience this condition.

Anyone can experience a peanut allergy, even though most of the sufferers are children. See your doctor immediately if You or Your child has peanut allergies, both in the levels of mild or severe.

Symptoms Of A Peanut Allergy

How Long Does A Peanut Allergy Take To Show UpSymptoms of peanut allergy usually start to look in a matter of seconds up to several hours after eating or touching peanuts, such as:

  • Rash, itching, with swelling of the skin.
  • The swelling on the face.
  • Itching or discomfort around the mouth and throat.
  • Colds.
  • Throat feels like choking.
  • A short breath.
  • Nausea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Stomach cramps.

For those who have severe reactions or anaphylaxis, some of the symptoms that may be seen are:
Narrowing and swelling of the respiratory tract.

  • Swelling of the lips, tongue, and other parts of the body.
  • Difficulty breathing.
  • Blood pressure decreased drastically.
  • Shock.
  • Heart rate beating fast.
  • Dizziness.
  • Fainting.

Thirty percent of patients with peanut allergies experience an attack of aftershocks in a period of 8 hours after the first attack. See your doctor immediately if experiencing symptoms of a peanut allergy, whether mild or severe, can be treated with proper and avoid further complications.

Cause Of Peanut Allergy

Allergies occur when the body’s defense system mistakes the allergens as harmful substances, so the body will produce a chemical compound called histamine into the blood. Histamine can spread and affect various tissues of the body such as the skin, eyes, respiratory tract, nose, lungs, intestine and blood vessels. Peanut allergy was, however, that the body recognizes the peanut protein as harmful substances.

Peanut allergy does not always react when a person eating nuts. There are cases where the patient is very sensitive, so stricken with allergies while inhaling the smell of peanuts or touching peanut directly. Up to now, there has been no apparent reason why the different levels of sensitivity for each person this could happen.

The potential is stricken with a peanut allergy will be higher at:

  • Children, and usually begins when they are aged 14 months to 2 years and continue into adulthood.
  • Adults who ever had a peanut allergy or other food allergies as a child. Unlike other allergies, allergy to peanuts tends to settle and cannot be eliminated or cured. Only about 20% of patients are able to recover when growing up.
  • People who have a family history of peanut allergy or other food allergies.
  • People who have the condition of atopic dermatitis or excessive sensitivity on the skin.