Although ADHD can’t be cured completely, but there are several types of drugs that can be used as a therapy for ADHD that can be selected. Measures the handling of this is done in order to relieve the symptoms so that the sufferer can enjoy a normal life and better quality. A combination of medication and therapy generally is the best way to deal with ADHD
However, there are no shortcuts to deal with ADHD. It takes a commitment of time, emotions, as well as financial not a little to find the combination of the method of treatment for ADHD that is right for You or Your child.
Handling with the Drugs
Even though the drugs can not cure it completely, but medication can reduce the symptoms of ADHD. There are 5 types of drugs that are commonly used, namely methylphenidate, dexamfetamine, lisdexamfetamine atomoxetine, and guanfacine. By taking them, these medications will make the patient become calmer and reduce impulsive so people can focus more.
Methylphenidate, dexamfetamine, and lisdexamfetamine belong to the class of stimulant medications. Medicines this will trigger an increase in brain activity, especially on the part that controls the ability of concentration and behavior.
Methylphenidate is generally given to adolescents and children above 6 years. If the patient is not suitable for this drug, your doctor will replace it with dexamfetamine are recommended for children over 3 years.
If stimulant medications are not suitable for the patient, for example, specific health reasons, a doctor usually will give atomoxetine. This drug belongs to a type of selective noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRI). SNRI will increase the level of noradrenaline in the brain so that it can help the power of concentration and control impulses. Atomoxetine can be prescribed for teenagers and children above 6 years.
For teens and children who can not use the above drugs, guanfacine would be an alternative. This drug serves to increase the concentration while lowering blood pressure.
All drugs certainly have side effects, including medications for ADHD. A number of common side effects when using it is a headache, no appetite, and digestive disorders. But users of atomoxetine should be more vigilant because this drug is also suspected to cause more serious side effects, that trigger the desire to commit suicide and liver damage.
Patients who are already undergoing treatment should be screened routinely to the doctor until the symptoms of ADHD reduced significantly. After his condition improved, the patient is recommended to undergo a periodic examination.
Handling Through Therapy
In addition to drugs, the handling of ADHD can be supplemented with therapy. This method is also used to handle other disorders that may accompany ADHD, such as depression. Type-the type of therapy that could be an option include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy or CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). This therapy will help patients with ADHD to change the mindset and behavior when faced with a problem or certain situation.
- Therapy psychology. ADHD sufferers will be invited to share their stories in this therapy, for example, their difficulties in overcoming the symptoms of ADHD and are looking for ways to cope with the symptoms.
- Training social interaction. This type of therapy can help patients with ADHD to understand the social behavior that is worthy in certain situations.
People who are close to sufferers of ADHD such as parents, siblings, and teachers also need the knowledge and help that can guide the sufferers. Here are some of the types of therapy and training that may be useful.
- Behavior therapy. In this therapy, parents and caregivers with ADHD will be trained to devise strategies to help the patient in the behave day-to-day and cope with the difficult situation. For example by applying a system of praise to encourage the patient.
- Training Program and teaching to the parents. In addition to helping parents to better understand the behavior of ADHD sufferers, these measures can provide an overview of the guidance specific required patients.
ADHD cannot be cured, but diagnosis and proper treatment early can help patients to adapt to his condition at once of everyday life.